On Saturday, September 26th, members of The Big Easy Rollergirls and The Krewe of The Rolling Elvi are going to walk that Extra Mile in Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Jefferson Parish Human Services Authority.
The walk takes place at Lafreniere Park in Metairie located at 3000 Downs Blvd.
Registration starts at 8:30 a.m. in the Tent near the Park Center Pavilion.
The Walk Starts at 9 a.m. The track is two miles long.
The Extra Mile is a statewide network of professional staff and volunteers dedicated to enhancing and enriching the quality of life for all persons served by public human services agencies. Since 1991, these non-profit organizations have helped persons served by the Jefferson Parish Human Services Authority, Metropolitan Human Services District, Florida Parishes Human Services District, and the State Offices of Mental Health, Public Health, Citizens with Developmental Disabilities, and Addictive Disorders. The Extra Mile programs across the state provide education, support, advocacy, monetary assistance, and program development to fill needs as determined by individual communities. These resources include the time and talent of many dedicated volunteers and donors working together to provide clothing, food, merchandise, in kind services from individuals and businesses, support for individuals and families, community education, advocacy and cash.
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP:
- Share a special talent or interest you may have…be a friend.
- Advocate for persons who have human services needs.
- Educate your family and friends about mental illness, addictive disorders, and developmental disabilities. Personal experience and stories are the most effective.
- Sponsor an Activity (Consumer Outing, Monthly Birhtday Club Party, Holidays, etc.)
- Donate funds or clothing to help those in need